Sunday, June 3, 2012

Workshop

It's that time of year again. Workshop submissions for my next VCFA residency were due last week. Now I have to wait a few weeks until I get my next group assignment and reading packet. I love the reading packets. I love seeing what all of my ultra-talented schoolmates have been writing. It's amazing how each piece in the reading packet is so different from the rest. We all have so many good ideas and are  skilled in our own unique ways.

I remember writing in this space before I entered the program. I had never really participated in a workshop before, and I wondered what it would be like. That was before I ever thought about the term "reading like a writer." I was reading that first workshop packet as a fan, assessing whether I liked something, or not. I was not yet ready to assess whether a given piece of writing worked or not and for what reasons. Slowly, I've joined this crazy "reading like a writer"land where I'm able to participate in a back and forth with other writers in a meaningful and constructive way. It's hard to grasp the fact that it's only been a year and a half. In some ways I feel like I've always felt this way because of the intensive study, so it's weird to reflect on how far I've come.


Just Finished: Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Currently Reading: The Last Apprentice by Joseph Delaney
Up Next: Messenger by Lois Lowry

No comments:

Post a Comment