Monday, April 16, 2012

Going for Gold


I talk a lot about surrounding myself with creativity in order to become a better writer. Being around the best makes you want to be your best, no matter what their discipline is.

My wife and I had the unique experience of being able to attend seven games of the Women's World Ice Hockey Championships, including all of the games in the medal round. It was being held at the University of Vermont, which is walking distance from my apartment. How cool is that? How many people can say that they were able to walk to World Championship events? Not many, and I count myself extremely lucky.

Canada beat the US in overtime in the gold medal game, which wasn't the result I was hoping for, but it was a great game to attend. Canada is very tough and resilient, and the US plays one of the most exciting finesse games I've ever seen. Their speed, positioning, and passing were a joy to watch. They play the way I think hockey should be played: with skill. they aren't concerned with the fighting and cheap shots that are far too prevalent in much of the men's game at all levels. This pure playing of the sport was refreshing. And these women aren't making millions of dollars. They are simply playing for the love of the sport, living out their childhood dreams. It's awesome.

What a positive energy boost. It'll stick with me for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment