Sunday, November 20, 2011

Telling Stories

My love for writing began long before I started writing words down with a purpose. In fact, it began way before I even liked to read. My love for writing began with my obsession for oral storytelling. For as long as I can remember, spoken stories, especially if told well, have been one of my favorite things. They really bring me back to my childhood. Maybe it was because my sister and I liked to ask a lot of questions, or maybe our family just liked to share? I’m not sure, but whatever the reason, people around me were always talking about their experiences: my grandfather’s adventures as a struggling teenager during the depression; my dad’s travels through Europe when he was playing professional hockey in Germany; my mom’s resilience after my grandfather's heart attack; my neighbor’s old cars; my grandmother going to teacher's college. You get the idea.

These stories were amazing, and I couldn’t get enough of them. I didn’t care that I had heard the one about the stolen bike a dozen times, I still craved my grandfather’s passion each time he told it. Passion. Isn't that what storytelling is all about...

1 comment:

  1. Agree. Here's hoping for many stories around the Thanksgiving table today.

    ReplyDelete