Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Stickers!




This month, it's all about the simple pleasures in life.

It may not be the most manly thing for me to admit, but I really don't care. I love stickers!

I think it all started with Pizza Hut's Book-It program that I participated in when I was in elementary school. It was pretty simple. They fed you pizza for reading books. If I read a book and presented a small book report to my class, I got a star-sticker for my special Book-It button. Five books equals five star-stickers equals a free personal pan pizza. The nine year-old me was sold. Instantly. I was flying through books, earning stickers, and stuffing my face with pizza.

Hockey stickers came next. I loved fun stickers found in vending machines or packs of hockey cards, not to mention decal stickers for helmets and other gear. I would always take the extra decal stickers, so that I could decorate my room and possessions with them. My number of choice as a kid was 19 for Steve Yzerman, my hockey idol. Needless to say, I think I'm still finding things with 19 stickers on them every time I go through old boxes of junk, ah stuff.

Now that I'm working in a library and trying to write my own books, stickers and talk of stickers are everywhere. I couldn't get away from them if I tried. It's always, 'look at how many stickers are on that book,' or, 'I don't think that book deserved three stickers.' They're in my face all day. When we get shipments from the Junior Library Guild, they send us gold stickers to put on their Premier Selections. My coworkers have caught on to my passion for stickers, so they save that part for me. It's so fun putting them on the books. It makes my day. A couple of weeks ago, I even got to put stickers on two VCFA faculty books: Bronxwood by Coe Booth and Tilt by Alan Cumyn. That was sweet.

If a book I wrote ever got a sticker, I may spontaneously combust. Maybe I should actually get a book published first. Maybe I should get back to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment