Monday, October 10, 2011

Back at it...

It's nice to be back. I didn't plan on being away as long as I was but, you know, life happens sometimes.

The flood situation forced all kinds of changes on us that we hadn't planned. It has been a very stressful time. Many days, unfortunately, my writing and my school work have been forced to play second, third, or eighty-seventh fiddle to the myriad of other things that I've been forced to deal with. Life has started to take a normal shape again and, after we move into our new place next weekend, I'm looking forward to settling into a routine.

I'm not gonna lie. It's been challenging. There have been a lot of late, sleepless nights spent working or, more times than not, trying to work without being able to focus. My mind has felt like it's been pulling a sled across Alaska or something. A few times, I've even thought about packing it in, giving up, taking a semester off. Thankfully, I'm past that point. I know I can make it. I turned in a packet of assignments at the end of last week, and I think I was able to produce some quality work. Phew!

Moving forward in my studies, I'm focusing on more micro-level writing techniques. I'm searching for sentence and paragraph level hotspots --things that work for me, things that don't, and why. I'm looking at inference and foreshadowing. I'm trying to learn how to subtly show my reader something big about a character, rather than coming right out and describing it in detail to them.

I think I'm making strides. They might be little, tiny centipede strides, but I still think I'm making them.

Just finished: The house in the Night by Susan Marie Swanson, pictures by Beth Krommes
Currently reading: Coraline by Neil Gaiman
Up next: How I live Now by Meg Rosoff

No comments:

Post a Comment