Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Expectations and Comfort Zones

I'm currently finalizing my first packet of work for my second VCFA semester. It's the first time my new advisor will see my work. Obviously, I have no idea exactly what she will be thinking as she receives the work. We talked at the residency, and I understand her expectations, but they are still different expectations than my last advisor. Those expectations are intimidating. Not a ton, but still, it's always hard to leave an area of comfort (an entire first semester with an advisor I worked well with) and move to something new.

During the residency, many people talked about our own individual writing voices. It seems to be a fairly universal view in both the VCFA and greater writing communities that staying true to our own voice is paramount. So, new expectations or not, I guess all I can do is write to the best of my ability and that has to be good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment