Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Learning Styles and Reading

This is a topic that came up with my current VCFA advisor based on an essay I wrote.

Although their are many different smaller sub-groups, most people can agree on three major learning styles: auditory, visual, and kinesthetic.

According to a resource I found online here, when reading:

Auditory learners will identify with anything that they can repeat aloud, or images that evoke sounds or noises that they can relate to their own experiences.

Visual learners are attracted to written or spoken language rich in imagery. This one is pretty self-explanatory.

and Kinesthetic learners learn by doing.

In my essay, I argued that Kinesthetic learners could get quite a lot from reading books that take them through a process. 1st person present tense is ideal for these readers. Something that makes them feel in the action.

My advisor wasn't so sure. I'm not so sure anymore either. Are there any books that are right for kinesthetic learners?

No comments:

Post a Comment