I just finished The House With a Clock in its Walls by John Bellairs. His protagonist, Lewis, is a boy that cries any time he is insulted/scolded. It was somewhat annoying, but it did serve as a consistent character tag.
My advisor wanted to us to think about character tags anyway, so here is a quick list of things that might be cool to use in future stories:
- A teenage boy that only wears argyle socks.
- An old man that wears his hat backwards.
- A young girl that carries around a tape recorder.
- A small child that relates everything that happens in her life to scenes from movies released prior to WWII.
- A boy with a deep, deep voice and a fierce handshake.
- A girl that walks her pet rabbit around town on a leash, as if it were a dog.
- A teenage boy that works out as much as possible. He's been known to drop down for a push-up set standing in line for a sandwich.
- A girl that gives everyone a nickname as soon as she meets them.
- A man that counts every step he takes on his left hand. If you look close enough, you'll see his fingers moving.