Wednesday, April 6, 2011

An Alternate View of History



I'm in the middle of reading the second volume (the first volume is pictured) of The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation by M.T. Anderson. Although it is written in 18th century English that may be a bit hard for all teens to fully comprehend, I feel that it is a must read for any classes studying the Revolutionary War. If an English class was also studying 18th century literature at the same time, it would make for an amazing cross-curriculum assignment.
I don't want to give too much away for anyone that may want to read it, but I will say that it makes the reader question the motives behind the American rebellion. Anytime a light can be shone on the 'other side' of a given situation in order to educate, it's a great thing in my opinion.
It's a beautiful day today, and so, inspired by the book, I'll say, "Ye Gods, rejoice and be merry."

No comments:

Post a Comment