Thursday, January 6, 2011

Calm before the Storm?

My first residency is only a few days away, and I finally received the detailed schedule of events. I understand why they don't want you to have it too far in advance because they don't want people stressing out. The schedule is intense to say the least. Days are packed with meetings, lectures, presentations and so on.

The second day is the first real work day, but It does end with a great reward: A welcome address/presentation by renowned author and Vermont resident Katherine Paterson. That should be fun.

I am also very excited/nervous to meet my faculty that I will be working with. They sent us these really intimidating bios and resumes of all the faculty. I just have to keep telling myself that these people, although published authors, are normal humans. As I see it, they can't be any worse than some of the coaches I've had to deal with on the ice. I won't mention names.

Last, but most certainly not least, is the workload for the semester. I have to produce a work packet each month that consists of a letter, 2 critical papers, approx. 40 pages of creative work, and an annotated bibliography of the 10+ books I read. Yea, 10 each month! Good thing a lot of them are going to be children's and middle grade titles.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment